Build a Tall Chest
A Gorgeous Addition to Your Décor Using These Tall Chest of Drawers Plans
I do love dressers and chests, and these tall chest of drawers plans are no exception! This particular piece will fit in any space and is a virtual blank slate to be finished as you please! Perfect in a child’s room, a playroom, a bathroom, an entryway or wherever you choose!
- 1-1/4” pocket hole screws
- 1-1/4” brad nails
- Edge banding, optional
- 7 sets of 12″ Drawer slides
- Cabinet pulls
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (100, 150, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies (primer & paint, or stain, sealer)
- 2 – 1×2 at 8′
- 1 – 1×4 at 2′
- 4 – 1×8 at 8′
- 1 – 2×2 at 3′
- 2 sheets of 3/4″ plywood
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 15-1/4″ x 59-1/4″ – Sides
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 23-1/2″ x 56″ – Back
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 14-1/2″ x 23-1/2″ – Bottom
- 1 – 1×4 at 23-1/2″ – Lower Stretcher
- 5 – 1×2 at 23-1/2″ – Stretchers
- 2 – 1×2 at 9-1/2″ – Dividers
- 2 – 2×2 at 13-3/4″ – Drawer Spacers
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 15-3/4″ x 26″ – Top
- Trim cut to fit
- 4 – 3/4″ plywood at 8-1/2″ x 10-1/2″ – Small Drawer Bottoms
- 8 – 1×8 at 10-1/2″ – Small Drawer Box Sides
- 8 – 1×8 at 10″ – Small Drawer Box Front & Back
- 3 – 3/4″ plywood at 10-1/2″ x 21″ – Large Drawer Bottom
- 6 – 1×8 at 10-1/2″ – Large Drawer Sides
- 6 – 1×8 at 22-1/2″ – Large Drawer Front & Back
- 4 – 3/4″ plywood at 9-1/4″ x 10-3/4″ – Small Drawer Fronts
- 3 – 3/4″ plywood at 9-1/4″ x 23-1/4″ – Large Drawer Fronts
Edge banding will be applied to the exposed edges of the plywood before starting to build the tall chest.
Cut the pieces for the sides and back. With the pocket hole jig set for 3/4″ material, drill pocket holes in the long edges of the back. Secure the back to the sides as shown using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the piece for the bottom. Drill pocket holes in each side as well as the back edge. Secure to the sides and bottom using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the piece for the lower stretcher and drill pocket holes at each end. Secure to the sides using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws. Use a few 1-1/4″ brad nails to secure the bottom to the stretcher.
Cut the pieces for the stretchers and drill pocket holes in each end. Position as shown then secure using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws. It may be helpful to cut 9-1/4″ spacers from scrap wood to make sure the stretchers are positioned equally. (I do this all the time!)
Cut the pieces for the dividers and drill pocket holes in each end. Position as shown then secure using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the pieces for the drawer slide supports. Secure to the dividers and the back using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails.
Cut the piece for the top. The front and sides will overhang by 1/2″. Secure to the cabinet using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails through the top into the sides, back, and stretcher.
Cut the trim pieces to fit. Secure the sides first using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails, then secure the front.
Cut the pieces for the drawer boxes. Drill pocket holes in all four edges of the bottom as well as each end of the sides. Assemble the drawer box as shown using glue and 1-1/4” pocket hole screws. Install the drawer slides according to the manufacturer’s installation instructions, locating them ¾” back from the front edge of the sides. This easy tutorial on installing drawer slides will be helpful. Make any necessary adjustments.
Cut the pieces for the drawer fronts. Mark the position for the drawer pulls and drill the holes. Shim the drawer front in the opening – there will be a 1/8” gap around all sides – then drive screws through the holes for the drawer pulls into the drawer box. Open the drawer, and secure the drawer front using countersunk 1-1/4” screws from the inside. Remove the screws from the holes for the drawer pull then finish drilling the holes. Install the drawer pull. This easy tutorial on installing drawer fronts will be a huge help!
Finish as desired!
These tall chest of drawers plans make for a quick and easy build, plus it is inexpensive! Need help with the plan? Leave a comment below!
Originally posted 2013-11-06 08:00:21.