An Easy to Build Weekend Project
Need a way to carry several bottles of wine at once? The DIY plans to build a Bottle Crate feature six divided spaces to carry wine bottles to a dinner party, just for storage (especially for the wine bottles with screw-on caps!), or as a neat way to store wine bottle torches. This is a super easy to build project that uses off-the-shelf lumber, and several can be constructed in a weekend!
- 1″ brad nails
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (100, 150, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies (primer & paint, or stain, sealer)
1/2″ craft boards are available in any home improvement store!
- 3 – 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ at 3′
- 1 – 1/2″ x 3-1/2″ at 3′
- 1 – 1/2″ x 5-1/2″ at 3′
- 1 – scrap piece of 1/2″ plywood at 6-1/2″ x 10″
- 4 – 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ boards at 10″ – Legs
- 2 – 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ boards at 7″ – Handle
- 2 – 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ boards at 6-1/2″ – End
- 2 – 1/2″ x 3-1/2″ boards at 6-1/2″ – End
- 1 – 1/2″ plywood at 6-1/2″ x 10″ – Bottom
- 2 – 1/2″ x 1-1/2″ boards at 11″ – Sides
- 2 – 1/2″ x 3-1/2″ boards at 11″ – Sides
- 1 – 1/2″ x 5-1/2″ boards at 5-1/2″ x 10″ – Divider
- 2 – 1/2″ x 5-1/2″ boards at 5-1/2″ x 6-1/2″ – Dividers
Click on the drawings for a larger view!
1/2″ plywood can also be used with edge banding for this project!
Cut the pieces for the legs, the handles, and the ends. Assemble the ends as shown using glue and 1″ brad nails. Note that the end pieces are positioned 1/2″ in from the outside edge of each leg.
Cut the piece for the bottom. Secure the ends to the shorter edges of the bottom using glue and 1″ brad nails.
Cut the pieces for the sides. Secure the sides to the edges of the shorter pieces of the ends using glue and 1″ brad nails.
Cut the pieces for the dividers. Cut the notches in the dividers using a jigsaw. Assemble the dividers as shown, then place inside the crate securing with 1″ brad nails through the ends and sides into the edges of the dividers.
Finish as desired.
This crate is also a great way to carry a six-pack of any beverage. It would also be a great way to hold cutlery or condiments for a barbecue, or to store craft supplies! Have any questions about the DIY plans to build a Bottle Crate? Leave a comment below!
Originally posted 2015-02-05 08:00:42.