DIY Plans to Build a Simple Bed Frame
I have had a platform bed for years and I still love it! It was an easy build and is still standing strong! The plans to build this easy platform bed are perfect for any skill level, and mostly uses off-the-shelf lumber except for the legs. The legs are built using three layers of 1×3, glued together, then ripped on a table saw to be 2-1/4″ wide (so that the width matches the thickness). This part is completely optional… If you decide to keep the legs at 2-1/2″ wide by 2-1/4″ thick, adjust the length of the rails accordingly.
- 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws (<– affiliate link!)
- 1-1/4″ screws
- 2-1/2″ screws
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (80, 120, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies
- 19 – 1×3 at 6′
- 2 – 1×3 at 8′
- 1 – 2×3 at 8′
- 2 – 2×4 at 6′
- 2 – 2×4 at 8′
- 12 – 1×3 at 8″ – Legs
- 2 – 2×4 at 57-1/2″ – Rails
- 2 – 2×4 at 78-1/2″ – Rails
- 2 – 1×3 at 78-1/2″ – Side Slat Supports
- 1 – 2×3 at 80″ – Center Slat Support
- 2 – 2×4 at 7-1/4″ – Center Support Legs
- 16 – 1×3 at 59″ – Mattress Slats
Notes about the Project:
- The plans are written for a Queen Bed but can easily be adjusted for other sizes
- Sand all of the pieces prior to assembly
- Do not use glue when attaching the rails to the feet or when attaching the slat supports
- A decorative headboard can be added, if desired (Here’s one!)
Cut the pieces for the legs, which are made in groups of three pieces. Spread glue over the face of one piece and stack another piece on top. Spread glue on the face of the second piece, then stack a third piece on top. Repeat for the other three legs. Clamp together until dry.
Cut the pieces for the rails. With the pocket hole jig set for 1-1/2″ material, drill pocket holes in each end. Secure the rails to the legs using 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws. DO NOT USE GLUE – the bed may have to be disassembled some day!
Cut the piece for the center slat support and drill pocket holes at each end. Secure the support to the center of the shorter rails, locating the support 3/4″ down from the top edge of the rail, using 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws. DO NOT USE GLUE.
Cut the 2×4 pieces for the support legs. Secure them on either side of the center support using glue and countersunk 2-1/2″ screws (use four screws per leg).
Cut the pieces for the side slat supports. Secure the pieces to the longer rails, locating them about 3/4″ down from the top edge of the rail, using 1-1/4″ screws. DO NOT USE GLUE.
Cut the pieces for the slats. Space the slats evenly across the supports, then secure them in place using 1-1/4″ screws.
Finish as desired!
Have questions about how to build the easy platform bed? Leave a comment below!
Originally posted 2021-01-16 17:47:42.