To me, this is one of those projects where you can play with the finish to get that old “vintage-y” look! This particular side table can be personalized with any message you choose using craft paint and stencils, plus it will add stylish storage to your room!
- One sheet of ½” plywood
- One – 1×2 at 8’
- 1-1/4” Brad Nails
- Craft Paint & Stencils, optional
- Glue & Finishing Supplies
- 2 – ½”plywood at 21” x 26-1/4” – Sides
- 2 – ½” plywood at 22” x 26” – Front & Back
- 1 – ½” plywood at 18” x 24” – Base
- 2 – ½” plywood at 11-15/16” x 24” – Lid
- 4 – 1×2 at 9-11/16” – Lid Stay
- 2 – 1×2 at 20-5/8” – Lid Stay
Please note – these plans have not been tested. Please observe all safety precautions when building and of course, if there is an error in the plans kindly let me know and I will correct it as soon as possible!
1. Cut the pieces for the sides. Cut a 6 degree angle in the top and the bottom edges to allow the sides to sit flat on the base, as well as allow the top to lay flat on these pieces.
2. Cut the pieces for the front and back. Cut the angles as shown. Attach the sides to the front and back using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails.
3. Cut the piece for the base. Attach the bin using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails through the bottom of the base. There will be a 1″ border around the base.
4. Cut the pieces for the top. Cut the notches using a 1-1/2″ hole saw and a jigsaw.
Cut the 1×2 pieces for the lid stays and attach as shown using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails through the top into the stays. The stays will fit inside the bin to keep the lid in place. There will be a 1/8″ gap between lid pieces when they are in place.
5. Finish as desired and add the optional personalization. Casters can also be added to the bottom of the base for ease in moving the table…
Until next time,
Originally posted 2012-09-24 08:00:40.