Free Plans to Build a Napa Style Inspired European Garden Table
Spring is almost here and it will soon be time to get our garden beds ready! The plans today (free plans to build a Napa Style Inspired European Garden Table – another cheap and easy build!) are for a potting table with a mesh top and a lined drawer. The concept is so that the soil falls through the mesh into the drawer keeping the table clean for the serious gardener! Then, the soil can be emptied back into the pot from the drawer! Cool, huh?
Treated lumber can be used, as well as cedar. Regular, untreated lumber can be used also as long it is finished for outdoor use – Rust-Oleum’s Spar Varnish does a fantastic job!
- 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws for outdoor use
- 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws for outdoor use
- 1-1/2″ brad nails
- Wire mesh (also known as “hardware cloth”)
- Small stainless steel screws (about 1/2″) and washers
- 18″ drawer slides
- Aluminum flashing to line the drawer with small nails
- Finishing supplies
- 4 – 3×3 posts at 4′ (or 4 – 2×4 at 6′ laminated together and trimmed on the table saw)
- 3 – 2×4 at 8′
- One sheet of 3/4″ plywood
- 4 – 3×3 posts at 36-1/4″ – Legs
- 2 – 2×4 at 19″ – Sides
- 1 – 2×4 at 43″ – Back Stretcher
- 2 – 2×4 at 3-1/2″ – Front Aprons
- 2 – 2×4 at 20″ – Drawer Supports
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 24″ x 48″ – Shelf & Top
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 16-1/2″ x 32″ – Drawer Bottom
- 2 – 2×4 at 16-1/2″ – Drawer Sides
- 1 – 2×4 at 35″ – Drawer Back
- 1 – 2×4 at 35-3/4″ – Drawer Front
- 1 – wire mesh to cover the opening with at least 1/2″ overlap on each side
Click on the drawings for a larger view!
Cut the pieces for the legs and sides. If using 2x4s, see my post here then trim to size using a table saw. Drill pocket holes in each end of the side piece and attach to the legs using glue and 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws. The sides will be centered on each post with 1/2″ on either side.
Cut the piece for the back stretcher and drill pocket holes at each end. Position as shown then secure using glue and 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws. This piece will also be centered on the legs.
Cut the pieces for the front aprons and the drawer supports. Drill pocket holes in one end only of the apron pieces (to attach to the legs) and each end of the support pieces. Attach as shown using glue and 2-1/2″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the piece for the shelf and cut the notches using a jigsaw. Drill the pocket holes as shown. Attach the shelf to the legs using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the piece for the top and cut the opening using a jigsaw. Position on the table frame then secure using glue and 1-1/4″ brad nails.
Cut the pieces for the drawers. Drill pocket holes in each end of the side pieces as well as all four edges of the bottom. Assemble as shown using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws. The fronts will overlap the drawer box by 3/8″ on each side.
Install the drawer slides according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For an easy tutorial, click here. Make any necessary adjustments.
Cut the flashing to fit inside the drawer and secure in place with small nails.
Cut the wire mesh using wire snips. The piece should overlap the opening by at least 1/2″ on all sides. Secure using the screws with washers.
Finish as desired!
The free plans to build a Napa Style Inspired European Garden Table are super-simple to construct. The table is a quick build that can be completed in a weekend! Have any questions? Leave a comment below!
Originally posted 2013-03-04 08:00:40.