DIY Plans to Build a Dorm Mirror Frame
Dorm mirrors (the mirror with cheap plastic frames that can be purchased for $5.99) don’t have to look cheap… A beautiful frame can be built for these mirrors that will give it lots of style! The DIY plans to build a Dorm Mirror Frame are really simple using straight off the shelf boards, and can be finished to fit any decor. This is a great plan for those new to woodworking!
- 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws
- 3/4″ screws
- 1″ brad nails
- Dorm mirror with plastic frame (at least 48″ tall)
- D-Style tabs and picture hanging wire
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (100, 150, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies (primer & paint, or stain, sealer)
- 1 – scrap of 1×3, at least 12″
- 1 – scrap of 1×6, at least 12″
- 1 – 4′ x 8′ sheet of 1/4″ plywood
- 2 – 1×3 at 52-1/2″ – Frame Sides
- 1 – 1×3 at 11″ – Frame Bottom
- 1 – 1×6 at 11″ – Frame Top
- 2 – 1/4″ plywood at 1″ x 14″ – Back Frame
- 2 – 1/4″ plywood at 1″ x 48″ – Back Frame
- 1 – 1/4″ plywood at 14″ x 50″ – Back
Click on the drawings for a larger view!
Cut the pieces for the frame. Draw the arc on the 1×6 piece in any way chosen, maintaining the overall dimensions. Cut the curve using a bandsaw or a jigsaw.
With the pocket hole jig set for 3/4″ material, drill pocket holes in each end of the 1×6 piece and the 1×3 piece. Assemble the frame using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the pieces for the back frame. These strips will keep the mirror in place so that the back can be positioned and secured. Secure the strips to the back of the frame using glue and 3/4″ screws. There will be a 1/2″ border around the inside of the frame leaving about a 1″ border around the outside of the frame.
Finish the frame as desired.
Position the mirror inside the back frame so it rests on the back face of the larger frame. Secure the back piece to the back frame using 1″ brad nails through the back.
Install the d-style tabs, then secure the picture framing wire through the loops. Hang as desired.
The mirror panel can also be replaced with a dry erase board or chalkboard, and would look fabulous in any finish! Have any questions about the DIY plans to build a Dorm Mirror Frame? Leave a comment below!
Originally posted 2015-04-15 08:00:43.