Build a Blair Tall Bookcase
An Easy to Build Knock-Off Plan
This easy to build plan, inspired by Pottery Barn Teen, features a contrasting base and face frame. The plans to build a Blair tall bookcase are constructed out of plywood with a solid wood base and frame. The front legs of the base frame are attached to the face frame and are stacked to be 1-1/2″ wide while the back legs are 2x2s.
This plan is an excellent weekend project, and is suitable for all skill levels!
- 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws
- 2″ brad nails
- Edge banding, optional (<– affiliate link!)
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (80, 120, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies
- 3 – 1×2 at 8′
- Scraps of 2×2 = 10″
- 1 – 4′ x 8′ sheet of 1/4″ plywood
- 2 – 4′ x 8′ sheets of 3/4″ plywood
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 14-1/4″ x 61-1/2″ – Sides
- 5 – 3/4″ plywood at 14-1/4″ x 25-1/2″ – Top, Bottom and Shelves
- 2 – 1×2 at 12″ – Base
- 1 – 1×2 at 24″ – Base
- 2 – 2×2 at 3″ – Back Legs
- 2 – 1×2 at 3″ – Front Legs
- 1 – 1/4″ plywood at 26-1/4″ x 60-3/4″ – Back
- 2 – 1×2 at 64-1/2″ – Face Frame
- 2 – 1×2 at 24″ – Face Frame
Notes About the Project:
- Sand all pieces before assembling
- Apply edge banding to the exposed edges of the shelves with an iron
Cut the pieces for the sides, top, bottom and shelves. With the pocket hole jig set for 3/4″ material, drill pocket holes in the shorter ends of each top, bottom and shelf piece. Secure the top and bottom to the sides using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the pieces for the base. Assemble the base as shown, using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws. The outside faces will be flush with the outside faces of the legs. Secure the base to the bookcase using glue and 2″ brad nails through the bottom into the frame.
Secure the pieces for the shelves to the sides using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws.
Cut the piece for the back. Secure the back to the sides, top and bottom using glue and 2″ brad nails.
Cut the pieces for the face frame and drill pocket holes in each end of the shorter pieces. Assemble the frame using glue and 1-1/4″ pocket hole screws. Secure the face frame to the sides, top and bottom using glue and 2″ brad nails.
Finish the bookcase as desired!
Have questions about the plans to build the Blair tall bookcase? Leave a comment below!
Leave a Reply