An Easy to Build Side Table for Any Room
This little table is the perfect accent in any room, plus it is so easy to build! The plans to build a Graham night stand end table feature a frame (built from square wood dowels that are painted to look like metal) with a shelf and a box on top with a drawer. This is an excellent project for all skill levels, and several can be built in a weekend!
- 1-1/4″ brad nails
- 2″ brad nails
- 1-1/2″ screws
- 16″ drawer slides (<– affiliate link!)
- Edge banding (<– affiliate link!)
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (80, 120, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies
- 1″ square dowels (sold in 3ft or 4ft lengths)
- 1 – 2′ x 2′ sheet of 1/4″ plywood
- 1 – 4′ x 8′ sheet of 3/4″ plywood
- 4 – 1″ dowels at 19-1/2″ – Legs
- 4 – 1″ dowels at 22″ – Frame
- 4 – 1″ dowels at 15″ – Frame
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 15″ x 22″ – Shelf
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 17″ x 24″ – Top & Bottom
- 2- 3/4″ plywood at 6″ x 17″ – Sides
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 6″ x 22-1/2″ – Back
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 4-1/2″ x 16″ – Drawer Box Front & Back
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 4-1/2″ x 20″ – Drawer Box Sides
- 1 – 1/4″ plywood at 16″x 21-1/2″ – Drawer Box Bottom
Notes About the Project:
- Apply edge banding to the visible edges of the plywood before assembly
- Sand all of the pieces before putting them together
Cut the pieces for the frame from the 1″ square dowels. Assemble the frame using glue and clamp together until dry. Use 2″ brad nails to further secure the joints.
Cut the piece for the shelf and position it in the frame so that the top face is flush with the top of the lower stretchers. Secure in place using glue and 2″ brad nails.
Cut the pieces for the top, bottom, sides and back of the box. Secure the sides and back to the bottom, using glue and 2″ brad nails, then secure the top.
Secure the box to the frame using 1-1/2″ screws through the frame into the bottom of the box. Make sure to drill pilot holes!
Cut the pieces for the drawer box and the bottom. Assemble the box as shown using glue and 2″ brad nails. Secure the bottom to the drawer box using glue and brad nails.
Install the drawer slides according to the manufacturer’s instructions. For an easy tutorial, click here.
Install the drawer and make sure the slides move freely.
Cut the piece for the drawer front and cut the notch using a jigsaw. Position it in the opening with a 1/8″ gap around all sides of the opening. Secure the drawer front to the drawer box using 1-1/4″ brad nails. Open the drawer, and secure it from the inside using 1-1/2″ screws.
Have questions about the plans to build a Graham night stand end table? Leave a comment below!