DIY Plans to Build a Cole Nightstand
This modern nightstand would be fabulous in any room! The DIY plans to build a Cole Nightstand feature angled sides with an open shelf at the top and a drop-down door on the shelf at the bottom. This easy to build nightstand (or side table, if you will) can be completed in a weekend!
- 1-3/4″ brad nails
- Edge banding
- 1 set of hinges
- Magnetic catch
- 4 – 4″ furniture feet with mounting plates
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (100, 150, 220 grits)
- Finishing supplies (primer & paint, or stain, sealer)
- 1 – 2′ x 2′ sheet of 1/4″ plywood
- 1 – 4′ x 4′ sheet of 3/4″ plywood
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 13″ x 14″ – Sides
- 2 – 3/4″ plywood at 13″ x 16-1/2″ – Bottom & Shelf
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 10″ x 19″ – Top
- 1 – 1/4″ plywood at 14″ x 17-1/4″ – Back
- 1 – 3/4″ plywood at 5-3/8″ x 16-1/4″ – Drop-Down Front
Click on the drawings for a larger view!
Edge banding will be applied to the exposed edges of the plywood prior to assembly.
Cut the pieces for the sides. Cut the angle using a jigsaw or a bandsaw.
Cut the piece for the bottom. Secure the bottom to the lower edge of the side pieces using glue and 1-3/4″ brad nails.
Cut the piece for the shelf. Secure the shelf to the sides as shown using glue and 1-3/4″ brad nails.
Cut the piece for the top. The back edge of the top will be flush with the back edge of the sides, which will make the front overhang by 1/2″. The sides will also overhang by 1/2″. Secure the top in place using glue and 1-3/4″ brad nails.
Cut the piece for the back. Secure the back using glue and 1-3/4″ brad nails.
Cut the piece for the drop-down front. Install the hinges on the front, then install in the cabinet. Install the magnetic catch to keep the front in position.
Install the leg mounting plates on the bottom of the cabinet according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Install the legs.
Finish as desired.
This table would be great in a stained or painted finish… A stenciled design would be amazing on the top and front, or on the sides! Have any questions about the DIY plans to build a Cole Nightstand? Leave a comment below!